Sunday, April 19, 2009

It is already April

This last week we spent Semana Santa in Ibague relaxing and visiting the projects that our Canadian group member, Miriam, is going to be working with. The region itself is beautiful and the climate it perfect, I think it was sunny every day we were there. Also, we had a lot of free time, so we got to play Frisbee and basketball and go to the neighborhood pool. Saturday we drove up into the mountains and hiked a short ways up to some hot springs. The hike was gorgeous and so was the area around the hot springs. We crossed rivers, breathed in unpolluted air, walked from rock to rock, visited a waterfall, and marveled at the beauty of nature—it was wonderful! The actual hot springs were great too, the water was like bath water and there were about five different pools so it wasn’t too crowded. There was even this one pool with a cool cave that you could go back into. We were just about ready hike back down to the car when it started to pour. We needed to get back into Ibague at a decent time that night, so we all decided to just brave it and make the walk in the rain. Needless to say, by the time we all made it back to the car we were completely soaked. Some of us had some extra dry clothes to change into, but we were all pretty wet and uncomfortable as we made the drive back to Ibague squeezed into a 10 passenger van. However, our spirits were high, and we snacked on nuts and raisins, and sang along to old Colombian songs all the way home!

I don’t really have any other stories to tell so here are some of my thought snippets for you to enjoy.

-We only have about three more weeks here in Bogotá together until we head out to our service locations, and I’m having mixed feelings about it.

-I think I am flea free! My host mom washed all of my bedding while I was gone with Barsol (flea killer soap), I RAID-ed my mattress, and I put garlic on my near my bed. So far I haven’t gotten a bite!

-I have a cold/I’m sick, and there is no hot water at my house—not a nice mix.

-This month we have up-ed our time at MCC, and now we have meetings all day from 9-5. This week we are talking about development.

-We visited Cazuca today and my house still isn’t finished being built! Three more weeks…

-My parents are coming to visit me in July!

1 comment:

  1. Hola J:
    Glad you're doing well and sounds like your had a good time during semana santa. Wow, what a simple solution, wash your sheets and no more fleas...!! The best to you while you begin your uncharted territory in Cazuca. If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it!! I love you and miss you....Un gran abrazo para ti.
    love ya,
    tia

    ReplyDelete